[DGD] Running commands every 5 minutes

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Thu Aug 1 20:03:09 CEST 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Kevin Carpenter wrote:
> Just us a call_out and have the function code invoke itself.  I'd suggest
> that Auto is a bad place, since Auto is inherited by every object.  This
> sounds most appropriate for some mud management object, like the Driver
> object.

I wouldn't recommend the driver object, although only on aesthetic
grounds. The driver object, IMHO, should limit itself to the functions
that communicate with the game driver. I would prefer to either have
a system object that handles general system maintenance tasks like
this one, or if you have no other tasks that the system performs
regularly, then create a special object to do just this (and have
it automatically loaded by the driver object at startup time).

But, this is purely because of concerns about organizing objects
and functions in an intuitive manner. Putting it in the driver
object would work so far as I know.

Steve