[DGD] call_out vs heart_beat

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Fri Aug 2 03:37:08 CEST 2002

The current thread about running commands every 5 minutes has reminded
me of a question that I have about dgd.

I first started coding on a heaven7 mudlib clone running on the lpmud
driver. In this system all objects can have a heart_beat, which, when
the object is registered as having one, gets the heart_beat function
called in the object every heartbeat (which was a configurable time,
default of 2 seconds). Call outs exist as well, but having a recursive
call_out was frowned upon, because it was ineffecient.

Anyway my question is, why doesn't dgd have a heart_beat system? Are
recursive call_outs now more efficient or is there another reason? Was
the heart beat system just way too confusing and more hassle than it was
worth?

Thanks,
Kirk