[DGD] Port question

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Aug 25 01:27:41 CEST 2002

Jay Shaffstall <jshaffst at netwalk.com> wrote:

> > > When I run DGD with a config file that sets the telnet port to 2000 and
> > the
> > > binary port to 2002, my firewall shows DGD listening on three
> > ports.  Those
> > > two, plus 2868.
> > >
> > > What's the extra port for?
> >
> >That third port is used by some other program.
>
> Maybe I'm just being dense, but I'll need more information than that.  Are
> you saying that DGD doesn't listen on three ports instead of two, and that
> the firewall is in error?

I'm not sure what you mean with "the firewall," but with the stated
configuration, DGD actually does listen on 3 ports: TCP 2000, TCP 2002,
and UDP 2002.  If "the firewall" did not inform you that UDP 2002 is
open, then you are not seeing a list of open ports.

Assuming that the firewall lists "active" connections instead of ports
listened on, I can think of a possible explanation for port 2868: it
could be a UDP connection to the DNS server opened by DGD.  In that case,
it is probably closed already, since such a connection is closed as soon
as the name server information has been obtained.  Future name server
requests will be on different ports.