[DGD] Port question

Jay Shaffstall jshaffst at netwalk.com
Sun Aug 25 01:46:58 CEST 2002

>Assuming that the firewall lists "active" connections instead of ports
>listened on, I can think of a possible explanation for port 2868: it
>could be a UDP connection to the DNS server opened by DGD.  In that case,
>it is probably closed already, since such a connection is closed as soon
>as the name server information has been obtained.  Future name server
>requests will be on different ports.

Thanks, that clears it up nicely.  The third port (the port list does seem
to be active connections, as opposed to what a program is listening on) is
indeed cycling between different ports.

Now, if I can risk a question outside of my own area of expertise (if I'd
had any interest in network programming I'd probably be one of those
writing my own mud from scratch, and not getting nearly as far as I have by
using DGD), why does DGD need to make a connection to a DNS server?  It is
solely for resolving ip names for the ip_name kfun, or is there some other
need?

Thanks,
Jay