[DGD] write_file question

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 30 10:39:25 CEST 2002

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 09:11:11PM -0400, Jay Shaffstall wrote:
> I'm using write_file to keep logs of various happenings in the
> mudlib.  I've been using a separate file for each entity to be logged
> (mobiles, for instance).  I just recently added in automatic wandering to
> the mobiles, and the log files became very large.  I also noticed a slow
> down in the mud at about the same time.
>
> Will write_file take up more time to append to large files?  The files in
> question were about a megabyte when the slowdowns became extremely
> bad.  The logs and the slowdown may not be related, but it seemed like an
> obvious first question to ask.

My first reaction would be 'Not very likely'.  I would be more
suspicious about the mobiles.  How many of those do you have wandering
around, how many call_out() functions are getting called per second,
how many objects are you keeping swapped in because of their moving
about, etc.

If the 'active set of objects' has been increased significantly
because of this,  you may want to tune the config settings a bit so
that DGD isn't trying to swap them out almost immediately.

If there are simply too many call_out()s for your machine to handle,
you many want to consider killing off some of them and/or adding
something to slow the mobiles down when there is no real need for them
to be so active.

Hope that helps,

Erwin.
--