[DGD] Question...

Noah Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Wed Feb 27 17:34:58 CET 2002

  I store rooms, portables and helpfiles in large files with large numbers
of entries -- I used to store one help entry per file, and it starts to
suck pretty quickly.  The problem with storing one room, portable or
(gag) exit per file is the sheer number of files that build up.
  But then, I don't use save_object() -- I use an XML-like structured
storage language called UNQ with XML-like DTDs.  And it means that certain
kinds of bugs *are* just tough to track down.  I may start having to use
explode() to cut the file up into sections before doing my current
parse_string parsing -- otherwise when a file isn't parsed as valid UNQ
parse_string will just return nil and I have no idea where the error is.
  But for bugs after parsing has occurred, I just have a lot of error
checking code so if there's a bug I know what entry it's in -- I make sure
my error message tells me.  And when doing the DTD structured parsing
after the parse_string pass I actually keep a separate parser_error stack
of error messages so I can find out exactly what the problem is, and in
what entry.  It's a lot of error check code, but I wrote it once and now I
use it almost everywhere.

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://www.angelbob.com/projects/DGD_Page.html"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!