[DGD] Question...

Sergey S. Koval serg at scs.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua
Wed Feb 27 22:17:58 CET 2002

Hello,

VIL> Hello Sergey,

VIL> I would say this is not the way of creating rooms and NPCs :)
VIL> If something bugs, it will be a pain in the ass to find the bug.
VIL> But that's only my opinion.
Hmmm, not really :-)
Is there is somewhere bug, i know that it is somewhere in
room object. If something goes wrong, all i have is
just to look at one file and try to find a bug.

 Actually, i'm using LPC as a programming language, but
i don't like some common LPC concepts, like creating
every room in different file, etc. What about security ?
All coders in my MUD are people that i know in real life.
I can trust them. They know what they can do and
what they shouldn't. About world builders - they
have own commands and have no access to LPC code.
 In such enviroment, one file for world is much
more preferred than bunch of tiny LPC files.
I know that DGD can swap out all objects to disk
and later restore it. But what happens with connected
players (at moment of world save) ?

Also, what about containers ? I started coding in LPC
with MudOS driver. I have some experience of coding
in Diku muds (Anatolia - ROM deriviative), that's
why i'm trying to get best from it into my own MUD.
In MudOS i stucked with container problem. Solution
is simple - just create subdirectory and store
objects in container in this directory.. But what
about cleaning directory structure ? One error and
i can wipe recursively all player/world/etc (unprotected
) data. Is there in DGD some better solution ?

P.S. I'm still deciding move to DGD (it means, start
from scratch) or continue using MudOS (looks like
MudOS is trying to raise from it's knees, but i don't
trust MudOS anymore).

Regards, Serge.