[DGD] Parse_string confusion

Noah Lee Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Fri Jan 18 10:27:03 CET 2002

  I'm trying to use a line of the form:

return !!parse_string("regstring = /[^A-Z]+/\n\nfull: regstring\n", str);

Okay.  Fair enough.  That parses and does something related to what I
want.  But what I'd really like is to make that regexp /[A-Za-z]+/, which
is to say "any alphabetic".  If I switch it to /[A-Z]/, the parser won't
take it.  In fact, it's weird what the parser will and won't accept for
that token.

Will:
  [^A-Z]
  [^~A-Z]
  [^a]
  [^Z]
  [^{}]

Won't:
  [A-Z]
  [A-Za-z]
  [^~A-Za-z]
  [a]
  [Z]

Looks like, for starters, anything that isn't inverted (with ^) won't
parse.  Very odd.

Is this expected behavior?  I'm using 1.2.35, so anything's possible...
angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://www.angelbob.com/projects/DGD_Page.html"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!