[DGD] Prerelease of object manager

Noah Lee Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Fri Jan 18 09:55:39 CET 2002

  In case anybody's just itching for one more piece of sample DGD code or
a simple demonstration of lightweight objects:

"http://www.angelbob.com/projects/mudlib/"

Currently it tracks object issues and bootstraps itself in a kinda neat
way, but it doesn't actually allow nontrivial recompiles -- it only
watches objects and reports on them.

The bootstrapping method is to query objregd for the list of clonable
objects, recompile each one, and use that to figure out what inheritable
objects are out there.  Then it destroys and recompiles each of those,
possibly giving more not-yet-seen inheritables.  After a couple of
iterations (literally two for my current setup) it's found everything but
AUTO and DRIVER, which of course are easy to hardcode.

I like this method better than hardcoding the way Geir Harald Hansen's
objectd does, since it responds far better to changes in the MUDLib's
setup.  Of course, it also recompiles everything you create before the
objectd and (in the current implementation) leaves old issues of all
inheritables from prior to the objectd creation sitting around.  That last
part could be fixed with yet another recompile of those objects.

Another advantage over the previously-mentioned objectd is that with a
better heavy_array implementation the issue tracking data could be kept as
multiple heavyweight objects.

That's not to give Geir's objectd a bad name -- it's just the other one
released in public, so it's what I compare it to.  It certainly does some
things that mine does not.

Please consider this code to be in the public domain.

As the comments suggest I'm still very actively working on this, but
everybody's welcome to use it however they like.

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://www.angelbob.com/projects/DGD_Page.html"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!