[DGD] Kernel Questions

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Jan 22 20:17:02 CET 2002

Shevek <shevek at btinternet.com> wrote:

> >Thanks for reporting this -- I'll fix it for the next release.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Dworkin
>
> While access is being discussed, is System meant to be unblocked as a user
> by default? It seems like a fairly big security risk to have a root access
> user other than admin with no password.

It would be indeed, which is why the kernel lib's user object does not
allow you to login as "System" (the name would be mapped to "system").
I recommend that checks made by replacement user objects supplied by the
higher level mudlib have even stronger checking.  Still, some mudlibs
may have a use for a "System" user who can login, so the kernel library
does not prevent that.