[DGD] Sensible telnet access for coders

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Thu Jan 24 15:02:45 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 11:52:33PM -0800, Noah Lee Gibbs wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Greg Lewis wrote:
> > 1. Write an ftpd in LPC.  This has been done, and you should be able to
> >    find one and port it to DGD and whatever lib you are using.  It can
> >    use either the networking kfuns or the binary port.
>
>   One problem with this is that you'll need to either use the (not
> currently up-to-date) networking package for DGD or only implement passive
> FTP.  The FTP protocol is old, and unfortunately requires making outgoing
> connections.  It has trouble dealing with NAT, firewalls, etc for the same
> reason (it works, it just gets special-cased by everybody which is ugly).
>   Passive FTP is commonly available, but not every client does it
> decently.  It's often not tested very thoroughly since pretty much every
> "real" FTP server prefers to use active FTP.

I agree you'll need do passive mode ftp if you're just using the binary
port.  In general I haven't found getting a client to do it to be a
problem, but obviously my mileage varies from yours :).  I suspect most
modern clients do it well as firewalling is becoming more common, but
I may be incorrect.

In terms of the networking package, here is a good chance to convince the
original poster to maybe update it :).

Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 796 6999
Information Technology                Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com