[DGD] Sensible telnet access for coders

Arnau Rossell=?US-ASCII?Q?=F3?= Castell=?US-ASCII?Q?=F3?= arocas at alumni.uv.es
Mon Jan 28 10:32:46 CET 2002

> Don't give them telnet access just for editing purposes.  There are a
> number of editors which will edit a remote file to which the user has
> ftp access (vim and emacs come to mind).  This simplifies your problem
> into simply providing ftp access.

I didn't know vim could edit over ftp, thanks!

> 2. Run a standard ftpd, preferably chroot'ed into the mud's main
>    directory.  Hack the ftpd to use the mud's permissions by reading
>    whatever format permissions are stored in.  This has been done
>    before but presents some problems in terms of keeping the permissions
>    logic in sync.

I like this one, but I don't know where I could get started into the "hack the
ftp" part, is that easy to do or I would be better off trying to change dgd
source and add permission checking to the get_dir() kfun? Some advice or links,
somebody?

> Those are some ideas anyway :).  If you're going to use a standard ftpd,
> then please run it chroot'ed or run both it and the mud in something like
> a FreeBSD jail(8).

Unfortunately I haven't tried FreeBSD, nor any BSD yet, though it looks like a
nice thing to do.

> I gave up on using telnet and ftp to give coders access
> to the server for security reasons and instead use
> ssh and scp and for those using windows winscp
> and putty.

Well that's something I'd have to add if I manage to make a succesful MUD, but
I figure I can swap from telnet to ssh at a later time.

As for the ftp-on-lpc thing, i think that having "real" FTP servers, it's
pointless making one in LPC, that instead I should figure how to comunicate
ftpd with the MUD, and it will give more functionality that wathever i do myself

Thanks to everybody for their answers.

Arnau