[DGD] call_out question

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Jul 14 23:08:06 CEST 2002

Jay Shaffstall <jshaffst at netwalk.com> wrote:

>[...]
> Another possibility is that user input and call_outs are all queued, and
> happen in the order in which they are received.  So the answer to the first
> could be yes and still avoid call_out starvation.  Given what I've seen of
> DGD so far, I'm assuming that's the case, but I wanted to make certain
> before basing any designs on it.

DGD was (originally) designed for the LPmud environment, in which reside
players and wizards whose interests will not always coincide.  Under those
circumstances, neither callouts nor user input can be allowed to starve
eachother.  You may assume that the principle of fairness operates: all
user input and every callout will eventually be dealth with.

However, given DGD's single-threaded nature, it is of course possible to
arbitrarily delay the execution of both, for instance with a host of
bogus callouts.  What you can't do is delay one thing, and not delay
another.