[DGD] Compiling DGD under Cygwin

Taylor Stearns tstearns at haleph.com
Thu Jun 20 00:53:26 CEST 2002

>Here are the instructions for compiling DGD under Cygwin.  It took me
>about an hour to figure it out :) This is the only way I could figure it
>out.  If it could be done better please reply and let me know.

I don't know if my way is better, but it does take fewer steps.

>download dgd-1.2.tar.gz
>untar dgd-1.2.tar.gz
>download the experimental patches from ftp.dworkin.nl and save them into a
>dir called patches in the same root as the untar'd dgd*.gz file
>      eg: ~/dgd and ~/patches in your home directory
>use patchit script to patch dgd
>cd dgd/src
>cp host/pc/local.c host/lrand48.c
>cp host/Makefile.sysv host/Makefile

At this point, instead of copying either of those two files, I just used
the Makefile in the dgd/src directory

>vim host/Makefile
>      change the host to LINUX
>vim src/Makefile
>      change the host to LINUX

And here, my instructions differ.  They are:
vim Makefile
         change yacc to byacc
vim host/unix/random.c
         comment out random extern definition

>make
>make install

Voila.  Two fewer steps and the same result ;-).  Of course, two of my
steps are slightly more difficult than two of your steps, but I guess
there's just more than one way to skin a cat ... or same compiler ... whatever.

-Taylor