[DGD] Echoing user input

Jay Shaffstall jshaffst at netwalk.com
Tue Jun 25 22:59:21 CEST 2002

There's probably something really basic I'm doing incorrectly, but I
haven't been able to puzzle it out myself.  I'm trying to use the
send_message (int) call to turn echoing of user input on and off.  I'm
basically using the kernel connection and telnet objects, but in a
non-kernel mudlib.

I've verified that send_message is called with the appropriate values (0
for turning echo off, 1 for turning echo on).  It's being called from the
telnet object.  A global search shows no other places where send_message is
called with an int parameter.

Based on my understanding of things, that should cause the next line of
text the user inputs to be either echoed or not, depending on the value
passed to send_message.  What I'm seeing, though, is that nothing gets
echoed, regardless.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jay