[DGD] Echoing user input

Troels Therkelsen troels at 2-10.org
Wed Jun 26 14:23:14 CEST 2002

> > > Perhaps you are the telnet client that is included with Windows?  This
> > > program ignores the echoing hints from the server, and you can only
> > > turn local echo on or off through a menu command.
> >
> >   One way you can test this is to download CRT (by VanDyke software) and
> >try using it.  I've had some newline oddities with it, but overall it's a
> >fine telnet client, the best I've found for Win32.
>
> I tried CRT, and it does indeed perform the echoing properly.  I hadn't
> realized the echoing was simply a hint to the client, which did
> the echoing
> locally.  The clients I'm using must ignore that hint.
>
> Thanks for the help!  I now understand the problem, and can put in a work
> around for clients that don't do local echoing properly.

This is a bit off-topic... CRT is shareware (yes, we register shareware
programs we use, right?  ;-) *grin*).

There is an excellent freeware telnet/ssh1/ssh2 client for windows called
PuTTY, which can be used by those who are in a moral dilemma about shareware
programs =).  IME PuTTY has superb xterm and VT220 compatibility.

Regards,

Troels Therkelsen