[DGD] Nasty Problem - Please Help

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Mon Mar 11 16:25:18 CET 2002

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, Noah Gibbs wrote:
> > I was told that MudOs has built in support for room resets and I was
> > wondering if DGD has that feature.

>   Room resets are very specific to a given MUDLib under DGD -- since the
> idea of a "room" isn't spelled out explicitly by DGD....
>   So a better question would be "... wondering if Melville has that
> feature".  As far as I know, the answer is no.  2.4.5 might, I don't know
> offhand.

The answer is, indeed, no. But you can add it very quickly if
you want it. Use the heart_beat function, which is in the auto
object, and give it a long heart beat time, maybe 3600 seconds
if you want rooms to reset every hour. If you wanted automatic
room resets, just add set_heart_beat(3600) to room.c's create()
function, and code a heart_beat() function that does what you
want. You can override these values in any individual room if
you want to do that.

The reason Melville does not provide built-in support for room
resets is because DGD allows for persistence and it's not clear
what sort of room reset, if any, would be appropriate in a game
that had persistence. Something to think about.

Steve/Mobydick