[DGD] Kernel question

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat Mar 16 03:05:34 CET 2002

Jay Shaffstall <jshaffst at netwalk.com> wrote:

>[...]
> My first question is that DGD's send_message kfun is supposed to send a
> message to the current user.  The kernel mudlib connection object provides
> a message () method that wraps send_message, seemingly to provide for
> automatic resending of anything that doesn't make it out on the first
> send_message.  In what circumstances will an entire string not make it to
> the user on the first send_message?

An entire string will always make it on the first call, but possibly
not on the second one, because DGD's internal buffer is only one
string large (and strings have a maximum length).

> The connection object also seems to assume that a second call to
> send_message will always send everything that's still pending (this is done
> in message_done).  Is that true?

No.  If you'll think about it, you'll see that the send_message call from
message_done() is always the <first> call -- the first one in the current
thread.