[DGD] Ansi colors

Noah Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Tue Nov 26 20:04:22 CET 2002

  This was sent to the list generally, but I'm guessing from context that
it's meant to address me.  There's a "reply-to" on list messages that
sends responses to the DGD mailing list, which may be how this happened.

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Alphoen wrote:
> I've changed "0x7f" in comm.c to "0xff" and recompiled everything.

  All of them?  There's more than one, and more than one line containing
them.  At least, there was last I checked.  I haven't done this with more
recent versions.

> If you could help me out and
> maybe give me an example(on how to do with dgd source code and the
> lpc-code).

  I don't have code for this sitting around, but there's a pretty simple
way to do it.  You've probably got code to send a string to your telnet
client, right?  The Kernel MUDLib does this, for starters, or if you've
got a Kernel-based MUDLib (such as Phantasmal, or BBLib, or the one you
can put together using my "Starting with the Kernel
MUDLib" instructions).  In any case, the telnetd object is going to return
a "banner" string which will be sent to the telnet client when you
connect.  Just put some characters with a numerical value of 0x80 or
higher, such as color codes, into the banner string.  If you see it when
you connect, then you're getting the right thing.
  If you instead see garbage characters then you did the right thing with
DGD but something about your client or your terminal settings is screwy.

> The ansi package on your site isn't there anymore, it seems.

  Yeah.  I need to go through and fix broken links soon...  Old packages
occasionally go away, and imaginary.com's FTP site going down was a big
deal.  I haven't been maintaining the web site properly recently, but I've
been busy, and only just gotten started again on Phantasmal development.

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!