[DGD] melville with dgd for win binary

Albert Deinbeck albert-deinbeck at albert-deinbeck.de
Thu Oct 24 19:08:55 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Schmidt" <schmidsj at union.edu>
To: "Albert Deinbeck" <albert-deinbeck at albert-deinbeck.de>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 3:59 PM
Subject: Re: [DGD] melville with dgd for win binary

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Albert Deinbeck wrote:
> > I have recently installed the compiled binary of dgd v1.2p2 for
> > windows. It runs ok with the minimal mudlib provided.
> > Now I tried to setup melville mudlib and it doesn't work.
>
> I have not heard of this bug before, although I am not aware of
> many people using Melville on Windows. My general view is that
> if the driver is dying without an error message, that is a bug in
> the driver. My guess is that Melville is invoking some function
> in the driver that the minimal mudlib is not invoking, and that
> there is a driver problem with that function under Windows, at
> least as configured on your system.

I have tried to insert a delay loop into the running code and made a syntax
error and the result was the same. The driver didn't start up, but the
window closed immediately without notice. Perhaps I could write into a log
file and see at which point he terminates? Can you tell me about the
driver's start up sequence?
Perhaps it's as simple as that: if the driver terminates under linux, the
error messages are still on the screen. But if it dies under Windows, the
window closes and the messages are gone. But I'm afraid of trying to compile
the source under windows. The documentation is very sparse.

Thanks for your help,
Albert