[DGD] Windows DGD and ANSI

Joshua P. Dady jpd at indecisive.com
Mon Oct 28 23:53:35 CET 2002

Jesse Garrison wrote:
> I suppose the Windows-ified version.

Okay then.  The distributed DGD for Windows binaries are compiled under
Microsoft Visual C++, and there isn't much of a procedure to build that
binary using free (as in beer) tools.  There's no compelling reason why
it can't be built using, say MinGW (http://www.mingw.org) and MSYS
(ditto), but none of us have taken the time to do it.  What can be built
using free (as in beer) tools is UNIX style DGD binary, as I get into below.

> Yeah, you should assume I have no idea what I'm doing. I have no
> experience with UNIX or compiling software. I've compiled a few simple
> one-file C and Pascal programs with the Bloodshed compilers, but that's
> the extent of my knowledge.

There are numerous HOWTOs on general software building/installation
(there's probably a slew of them at http://www.linuxdoc.org/), and there
are specific instructions in the DGD source code distrubution,
specifically README, doc/Platforms, and src/host/*/README.

Roughly speaking, the steps for any package are:
   1) unpack the sources
   2) configure them
   3) build them
   4) (test and) run the result

If I recall correctly, cygwin is enough like Linux that DGD will build
easily if you follow the LINUX bits in doc/Platforms, but its been
some time since I personally have attempted this.