[DGD] Database support (mysql)

Michael Bergbauer dgd at noname.franken.de
Mon Sep 23 21:47:47 CEST 2002

On Tue Sep 24, 2002 at 01:4446AM +0930, Greg Lewis wrote:
> But you say that your patch also requires a lot of work to get it up to
> scratch for 1.2 :).

Yes, that's true. I thought about it already some time ago, but the
biggest problem would really be the atomic functions. As long as MySQL
wasn't transaction-aware, this would have been no problem, because you
just have atomic_errors, when you call the DB-driver from within an
atomic function.

But some of the tablehandles of MySQL are transaction-aware now, and so
should probably be the MySQL-Driver for DGD. And then you run into a lot
of other problems, like DGD supports more than one transaction level, SQL
only knows of one (at least AFAIK), and you have to solve this, somehow.

> At least if you're doing it in LPC you can reasonably
> expect that once you have it working it will continue to work without you
> having to track the driver as much.  I can see cases for doing things both
> ways though.

Working with LPC would probably solve some of the problems with atomic
functions, but on the other hand, the MySQL-Clientlib links e.g. against
libz to compress parts of the transmitted data, and so your
LPC-Implementation must know about compression.

--
Michael Bergbauer <michael at noname.franken.de>
use your idle CPU cycles - See http://www.distributed.net for details.