[DGD] Running a DGD mud on Linux

Jay Shaffstall jshaffst at netwalk.com
Fri Apr 4 19:50:24 CEST 2003

> > Gurba uses a keepalive script that periodically (run from cron) looks for
> > a listener on the port you specify, and if not found, runs the startup
> > script.
>
>   So having a process number, checking to see if it's still there, and
>(possibly) deciding to kill it if you can't connect after awhile seems
>like a good thing.
>   Especially since (IME) DGD and your MUDLib are much more likely to get
>into an unusable state than to outright crash and stop.

That has definitely been my experience, too.  The only times I manage to
crash DGD are when I get into a stack overflow situation, but I have seen
plenty of bugs in LPC that leave the mudblib in an unusable state.  The
idea of querying it (finally, a use for the binary port!) periodically is a
great one.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jay