[DGD] Interaction of catch{} and rlimits{}

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat Apr 5 22:19:00 CEST 2003

Noah Lee Gibbs <angelbob at monkeyspeak.com> wrote:

>   Say you're within an rlimits{} construct, perhaps as a result of being
> called by the Kernel Library's call_limited() function.  You have limited
> ticks available.
>   Say you're within a catch{} statement within that rlimits{}, and the
> catch{} has one of those "do on error" sections.  Now say in the body of
> the catch{}, you run out of ticks.
>   You'd like to do the "do on error" stuff but you're out of ticks.
> Should we always use an extra rlimits{..;-1} around any catch{} statement
> where we *really* want the "on error" block to execute?

When error recovery is essential, there are two things you can do.

1. You can make sure that something happens using rlimits:

    rlimits (0; -1) {
	catch {
	    call_limited("foo");
	} : {
	    /*
	     * this MUST complete to fully recover from an error
	     */
	    bar();
	}
    }

   There are several problems with this approach.  First, when using
   the kernel library, only System objects can use rlimits (...; -1).
   Second, an infinite loop in bar() will hang your mud forever.
   Third, even though foo() is called with limits appropriate for the
   current object, those limits are reset for the call, thanks to the
   enclosing rlimits (..; -1).  Fourth, the ticks spent in bar() will
   not be accounted for using the kernel library's resource management
   system.

2. You can make sure that nothing happened, using atomic functions:

    atomic void foo()
    {
	/*
	 * an error inside this function will undo all the actions
	 * performed inside this function
	 */
    }

   Atomic functions can be used by anyone.  They have two drawbacks:
   first, you cannot do file-changing actions inside them.  Second,
   they take twice the amount of ticks that would ordinarily be
   spent in that function.  Therefore, it makes sense to keep the
   actions performed in these functions to a minimum.

   However, since the actual time spent inside atomic functions is
   usually far less than twice that of an equivalent non-atomic
   function, an alternative would be to take that overhead for granted,
   double all tick quotas, and use atomic functions all through your
   mudlib.  The latter approach was taken by Skotos.  Practically
   everything in a Skotos mud is performed atomically.

Pick whichever solution suits you best.