[DGD] Speed Up?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Apr 7 14:06:42 CEST 2003

Jorn.Bakker at phil.uu.nl wrote:

>[...]
> that 'call_out' can be called with an optional delay parameter. According
> to the
> documentation this delay :

That delay is not optional, actually.

>[...]
> I have tried to alter the delay in "heart" and "tick" to 0.01. But this
> has no effect on the speed with which the agent operates. Does anyone know
> what I've missed? And what
> implications does a speedup have in terms of resources (memory, processing
> time)?
> It would really help if I found out how speed up my agent.

You are going to have to tell us more about what you are doing before
any specific recommendations can be made.  I have no idea how "heart"
and "tick" relate to callouts, the mudlib, and your agent.

Generally speaking, DGD runs LPC threads in sequence, with one having
to terminate before the next one can be started.  A callout delay of 0
indicates that the next LPC thread should be started as soon as possible
(immediately, unless there are other LPC threads contending for that
position) after the current thread has terminated.  A sequence of LPC
threads run in this manner will use all available CPU power for the
duration of their combined execution.