[DGD] Speed Up?

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Mon Apr 7 20:55:55 CEST 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 Jorn.Bakker at phil.uu.nl wrote:
> What I'm aiming at is the following. I'm currently doing experiments with
> my agents.
> This means that the MUD is running with monsters and an agent in the world
> (it's not running on a network, only local). The world itself is very
> small (3 rooms).

How many monsters? Although it probably doesn't matter much,
because I gather only the agent has this tick() function. Any
reasonable machine should be able to handle an agent that calls
ticks dozens of times per second, since the machine has nothing
else to do (assuming you're not computing large primes in another
process or something).

You will only have problems if you have 100 of these agents loose
in the game and you also have 50 players logged in using CPU to
kill things, chat, engage in mud sex, all the annoying things
players do that distract us from coding :) A large number of these
puppies can take up much of your CPU and induce player complaints
about lag. (Happened to me once a long time ago when I was doing
something similar.) Of course, you can always solve that problem
by slowing the tick rate down to one per minute or whatever is
necessary to economize CPU sufficiently. But then your learning
process is correspondingly slower.

What you need to do, then, is figure out how to get call_outs
to work with a fractional delay time. I have never done this,
so can't be of much help, but that's clearly what the issue is.
Experts? Jorn, can you post the exact code that makes the
recursive call_out so the experts can see if there are any
errors in it?

Steve