[DGD] Java or LPC (DGD)?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Aug 10 13:33:00 CEST 2003

"Ben Chambers" <bjchamb at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Java
>
>[...]
>
> + Better syntax for objects (in my opinion, the C++/Java object system is
> much cleaner than the one used in LPC)

What in particular do you consider to be better about the syntax?

> - Possibly slower?

LPC used to be faster, but these days it's probably the other way around.

> LPC
>
> + Designed explicitly for a MUD Server
>
> + Gives persistence for free

DGD has persistence to a degree that is not possible with Java.

>[...]
> Are there any points for either of the two that I missed?  Which of the
> points that I put in there aren't really significant?  Which language would
> you recommend?

 - Java is multi-threaded
 - LPC has multiple inheritance
 - Java has interfaces, LPC has include files
 - Java has much stronger typing (a bit too strong for a persistent
   system, perhaps)
 - Java has more basic datatypes (for example, different integer types)
 - Java's error handling is more fine-grained; DGD has atomic error
   handling

And I would use DGD, of course. :)