[DGD] Java or LPC (DGD)?

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 19:33:15 CEST 2003

--- Ben Chambers <bjchamb at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > > - Possibly slower?
>
> > LPC used to be faster, but these days it's
> probably the other way around.

  I'm sure there are cases where this is true, but
don't overrate the Java implementors.  Every
implementation of Java on Unix that I've tried, for
instance, is just godawful.

  Java on Windows seems to be better, though I'm not
sure by how wide a margin.

> > DGD has persistence to a degree that is not
> > possible with Java.
>
> [...] I agree that DGD has it built-in
> and easily accessible in a manner that would not be
> replicable in Java
> without some degree of work.

  Look at atomic functions, rlimits(), and upgrading
classes on the fly.  Then reassess the degree of work.
 There's a reason that Felix has been working on this
stuff for years.  I started using DGD not because I
wanted to play with another C-like language (I didn't,
not really) but because I spent the better part of a
year trying to implement a tiny fraction of the same
functionality in C and Perl.

  During one of my periodic "God, there must be a
better way" Google sessions, I discovered DGD.  I've
never looked back.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com