[DGD] Java or LPC (DGD)?

Greg Lewis glewis at misty.eyesbeyond.com
Mon Aug 11 22:58:31 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:33:15AM -0700, Noah Gibbs wrote:

> > > LPC used to be faster, but these days it's
> > probably the other way around.
>
>   I'm sure there are cases where this is true, but
> don't overrate the Java implementors.  Every
> implementation of Java on Unix that I've tried, for
> instance, is just godawful.
>
>   Java on Windows seems to be better, though I'm not
> sure by how wide a margin.

The only real definitive answer here is going to come from somebody
doing some benchmarks.

To do this you need to pick a Java implementation to benchmark against.
Probably Sun's is a good default, although IBM's has somewhat of a
reputation for being faster (I haven't read any 1.4 benchmarks comparing
the two though).

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com