[DGD] DGD & Simulations

Dannic dannic at orpgs.com
Mon Feb 3 03:31:32 CET 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, "Christopher Allen" wrote:

> You might want to take a look at a couple of Skotos
> games, in
> particular, Castle Marrach and Grendel's Revenge. Both
> have gifs and
> jpegs under client control.
>
> Our basic technique is to have a pane for flowing text
> that is imbedded
> inside an html page. This text pane can receive
special
> commands that it
> will send out to the DOM of the web page it sits
> inside. This allows us
> to change the whole web page dynamically. We have
three
> clients that use
> this technique, an Active-X client that is based on
> Pueblo, a Java
> client, and a Mozilla Javascript client.
>
> -- Christopher Allen

Why do that when popular clients that quite a few
mudders use has this built into the client.  Zmud, for
example, uses a protocol to make frames for the
different things, ie images, chat, combat ect.  all
that has to be done is send tags to the client.  This
is much easier than parsing it all at the server level
if the client can handle the tags.  The two clients
that I am aware of which use this protocol are Zmud and
MushClient.  it is not all that dissimiliar from html.
especially since I can send clickable hyperlinks to the
client.  You can even detect to see if the client has
this protocol enabled(which it is default for zmud).

I don't have to build a webpage or build a client to
take advantage of the scripting.  Nor do I need
knowledge of java applets.  Its a nice feature and you
probably should look into it.

Ever Play an online game?  Like to RP?

Visit

Online Role Playing Games
http://www.orpgs.com

for your source of information about Online games.