[DGD] Commercial Licenses?

Gary muphicks at mups.co.uk
Fri Feb 21 16:10:15 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 15:00, Alex wrote:
> These comments here are yet another reason to use a suggestion like mine.
>
> Your connection and hosting charges are paid for by a group of people not
> connected to your mud.

Which is a fair solution, however I imagine those who are truly
committed to running their mud will have little spare time as it is.
They may not have the time to also run an additional site, especially
one that would have to be commercially viable, at least to the amount of
covering running costs.

I can think of many ways to solve the running costs of the mud
indirectly, however I was simply wondering if a donation scheme would be
legal?

There would be many pitfalls, although I'm sure these could be dealt
with given enough thought. I guess the crux of the matter is whether
Dworkin would allow this to happen.

I guess the main problem with the royalties solution is who would ensure
the mud owner is actually declaring all their donations and paying the
correct amount of royalties. Unless of course some form of internet
account could be created where donations may be made and the total
received clearly visible.

BTW I'm discussing through interest only, I've no intention of setting
up and running a mud with a donation scheme, since I do not have the
time to run a mud.

Gary.