[DGD] Commercial Licenses?

Alex mud at swavely.net
Fri Feb 21 16:23:57 CET 2003

> On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 15:00, Alex wrote:
>> These comments here are yet another reason to use a suggestion like
>> mine.
>>
>> Your connection and hosting charges are paid for by a group of people
>> not connected to your mud.
>
> Which is a fair solution, however I imagine those who are truly
> committed to running their mud will have little spare time as it is.
> They may not have the time to also run an additional site, especially
> one that would have to be commercially viable, at least to the amount
> of covering running costs.

As a note here, I spend on your average week less than 5 hours actively
maintaining my income source site.
I spent about an hour originally setting up the community site with GPL'd
software, and about three hours getting the word out.
It took me about 8 hours to set up the income source side of that site,
but I was writing all my tools from scratch - not necessary by any means.
Anybody can do it - it's not difficult.

By comparison, I've spend easily 5 times that working on my DGD mudlib.