[DGD] Object swap-in

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Jan 14 13:37:42 CET 2003

birgit.schulte at philips.com wrote:

> While overhauling my object-daemon, I stumbled upon a basic question:
>
> When exactly does an object which is swapped out get swapped in again?
> Does it happen if I do a find_object(obj) or status(obj)?
>
> Or only if the object is either compiled or a function called within it?

find_object() does not swap in an object; status() does, because some of
the information needed by that function is swapped out.  However,
status() only swaps in the first sector of an object's dataspace.
Calling a function in an object would cause much more of the object
to be loaded in memory.

If you want to avoid any disk access, you may want to cache some of the
information from status(obj) in your object daemon.