[DGD] Mutli-CPU Support?

Kevin N. Carpenter kevinc at seaplace.org
Sun Jan 19 16:39:13 CET 2003

My concept is for several machines to dynamically carry the load
associated with different parts of the same mud.  Each part would be
dynamic down to its existance, with parts coming and going from the mud
on a slow timeframe (think hours to months, but without human
intervention).  Each part would be unique via its detailed definition,
but would, of course, require some common execution core.

The good news is that a group of students have taken augmenting
OpenMosix with shared memory support on as their thesis project.  Of
course, shared memory over any network is going to be slow, so I hope
Felix's implementation utilizes shared memory lightly.

With shared memory usage out of the way, the real qualifier for being
able to do this with DGD would be its use of multiple processes for
multiple CPU support.  OpenMosix transparently migrates processes via
page faulting.  With a decent network (100mb full-duplex is a great
start, gigabit is, of course, better), this works very well for any
process that is around for at least a minute or so.  For my need above,
this is perfect, since the processes would typically be around for days,
with some around for the life of the mud.

On a vaguely related note:  Memory is now cheaper than disk was not that
many years ago.  I'm curious if the DGD swapping algorithm can be
throttled, such that the mud won't swap unless resource utilization
exceeds some set thresehold.  Hmmm, I guess thats what the "cache_size"
startup parameter does, doesn't it?

Kevin C.