[DGD] Melville - Attention: Stephen Schmidt

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Mon Jan 20 01:47:37 CET 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Vampyr Twilight wrote:
> I would like to be able to add the ability to add extraneous item
> descriptions to "objects"
> that are listed in the room description, but aren't really objects that can
> be manipulated.

A common enough thing to want to be able to do.

> No where in here do I see something of the funcationality of:
>     add_item( ({ "gate", "large gate" }), etc.

It's not there. As you've surmised, this is something you get
to add for yourself.

> I'm wondering what would be the most effcient way to add this.   Would I add
> the functionality
> into the object.c inhertiable, and then modify the look command to search
> for that mapping, or
> am I making this more difficult then it needs to be?

Better, probably, is to add it to the room.c object (since you
probably do not want objects other than rooms to be able to do
this). Then, yes, add something to look.c that would check for
these sorts of looks via an appropriate query function in room.c.
Either that, or you could have room.c define a present() function
that would override the one defined in container.c, and have it
do the query. But I think hacking the look command is probably
better, since it is less likely to cause problems if you have
an add_item for "sword" in the room, and then someone brings
a real object with the id "sword" into the room.

Steve/Moby