[DGD] DGD & Simulations II

Christopher Darque thedarque at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 28 23:48:58 CET 2003

Noah wrote:

>  My God!  Somebody else that reads the archives.  Welcome, fellow
>freak.  If you see any good stuff in there that I haven't already
>summarized on my page, feel free to suggest adding it :-)

I will do that, so far I see no downside in DGD. :)

>I've never had a problem with DGD doing this in a way I
>noticed.  However, if you're worried about latency (rather than
total
>time) there are some things you could do.

I have always had to balance my design in toto and set internal timed
loops to keep things running smoothly. My NPCs do not need to think
all that often in computer terms so even on older LP systems Lag was
much of a problem.

> 2) Since I use a lot of ASCII graphics the style and efficiency of

>  Not directly.  Chances are good that you'll want to use a binary
> port instead of a telnet port for this stuff.  But the combination
> of precompiled code and large string operations is probably your >
> friend here.

>usually run out of bandwidth before they run out of CPU when you're
>running a MUD.

I have actually created versions of these things, my biggest
limitation was always the amount of RAM I had available. It was never
insurmountable, but just placed a cap on the number of dynamic NPCS
and Rooms that could be part of the game at any one time. On my last
host I could manage about 500 NPCS, 500 Creatures, and about 5,000
Rooms and still allow plenty for players and other things.

A.T
(-)