[DGD] DGD & Simulations II

muphicks muphicks at mups.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 16:19:36 CET 2003

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 02:43:29PM -0800, Christopher Darque wrote:
> > Erwin wrote:
> >
> > >It won't be needed for DGD.  The swapping in and out of objects
of
> > > any kind is completely invisible to the actual LPC programmer.
> >
> > Ok, so DGD is not going to be a whole lot better in that respect
for
> > my style of design. But I am sure the memory improvements in other
> > aspects will be helpful.

If I understand correctly you'd initially have the entire mud in RAM,
with your NPC's able to effect the mud environment as they wander
around.

I don't see how swapping in DGD would prevent this. When the
NPC's are not in a room and that object is inactive it could be
safely swapped out, since you are not using it.

If an NPC moves into the room, then its active and swapped
back in.

If you need to reference those rooms you can do so regardless
of whether they are swapped out or not. They'll be made
available by DGD in the latter case.

How is this a problem? I'm sure there must be something, but
I'm not seeing it :(

Gary