[DGD] DGD & Simulations II

Christopher Darque thedarque at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 17:21:39 CET 2003

--- "Joshua P. Dady" <jpd at indecisive.com> wrote:

> If your NPCs do tend to do something, sleep for a while, and
> repeat, you should be able to keep your WSS low.  In many
> cases, the algorithms used in the various objects can be
> refactored to help the swapper, rather than fighting with it.

Well that would be a pleasant change.

I understand what you are saying, and to me that is how it is
supposed to be: structure the creatures to be as low a load on
the system as possible.

My ALx NPCs do not follow specific loops of actions, rather they
have a number of needs and these work in an organic way. They get
hungry over time and eventually decide to go and get some food.

If they are hungry beyond a basic level, and they happen to walk
by a food vendor, they would eat. My design creates large complex
groups of life from a set of small basic actions. In their last
incarnation they needed to: eat, drink, sleep, sit, play, talk,
task & train. These would all play out over a game day, each
creature with it's own balance of what it likes/needs to do for
some indivduality.

I found that some things could be best done from a central control
program/database (my Master Rooms) and some needed to be inside each
indivdual NPC. Usually it was a trade-off between efficiency and
allowing for unique choices.

They worked and did a lot, but I am starting to think that with
DGD I could do a lot more with them.

A.T
(-)