[DGD] DGD & Simulations II

Joshua P. Dady jpd at indecisive.com
Wed Jan 29 17:46:57 CET 2003

Christopher Darque wrote:
> To make matters worse, when an object was restored it would reset
> to the base values in it's file. This caused major havok until I
> found a way to force an exclusion flag for special rooms.

Ugh, I can only imagine.  On DGD, when an object is restored, it will
have the same data associated with it as when it was swapped out, as
long as you keep one thing in mind; data should not be shared between
multiple persistant objects (i.e., traditional LPC objects, not LWOs -
see new_object(kfun) for details).  Outside the context of a single
thread, references to data held by another persistant object may be
converted to copies of this data.  Passing and using a reference to an
array, mapping or LWO is fine, but only during that thread.  If you hold
that reference and think of it as such, you'll get a surprise.  The
simple solution to this is to keep a specific set of data in a specific
object.

   -Josh