[DGD] DGD & Simulations II

Christopher Darque thedarque at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 17:10:03 CET 2003

--- muphicks <muphicks at mups.co.uk> wrote:

> If I understand correctly you'd initially have the entire mud
> in RAM, with your NPC's able to effect the mud environment as
> they wander around.

Essentially correct.

The Simulation control systems keep track of Creature population.
There may be 1,000,000,000 bunnies on the planet, but only 20 or
so spawned and live at any one time. I run what I can live, and
support the rest with simulation.

> I don't see how swapping in DGD would prevent this. When the
> NPC's are not in a room and that object is inactive it could be
> safely swapped out, since you are not using it.

I do not think it will, in older LP code it was, that was what
I was looking into with the initial post. On my last game for
example the only thing affecting when an object was swapped was
the presence, or lack thereof, of a player. That is just totally
contrary to the design concepts so I had to work around it a lot.

To make matters worse, when an object was restored it would reset
to the base values in it's file. This caused major havok until I
found a way to force an exclusion flag for special rooms.

I think DGD's support of general Persistance takes care of a lot
of these problems.

A.T
(-)