[DGD] test

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Thu Jul 31 16:32:26 CEST 2003

>>I understand that Dworkin doesn't like fp's/closures etc, but is there any
>>way these can be done via a package? Whether or not fp's are the best way to
>>do this kind of thing (although we have found them incredibly useful), some
>>way to include the syntax in the driver as an optional package would allow
>>a lot of MudOS libs to move to DGD with far more ease. Given that MudOS dev
>>is more or less dead, this could inject a lot of new blood, and a lot of
>>experienced developers into the DGD community.
>
> Lee Salzman <lee.salzman at lvdi.net> wrote a patch to add function
> pointers to DGD, available at the URL
>
>     http://www.lvdi.net/~lee.salzman/dgd-mod.diff.gz
>
> (I haven't checked to see if this still works).  It is only suited for
> DGD 1.2 and perhaps 1.2pX, not later versions.

This can also be done at the LPC level better than ever before:
  * The combination of LWO's and compilation-from-source makes it very
easy to do things like comparer = Lambda("a", "b", "return a < b;"); arr
= sort_array(arr, comparer);
  * Long ago, Dworkin posted a full grammar for the LPC language,
suitable for use in parse_string(). It has a few errors in it, and it
needs to be updated with language changes since then, but it basically
works, and parsing LPC is quite fast. We use it at Skotos to parse a
mutation of LPC. If all compilation went through such a layer first, you
might be able to add lambda expressions and such at the syntactic level.

Zell