[DGD] handful of simple functions I would like to see

Darren Henderson dkh-dgd at nighttide.net
Wed Mar 12 06:38:10 CET 2003

I'm sure Dworkin loves these kinds of posts...

I've been tinkering with DGD recently, building a lib from scratch etc.
Spent quite a bit of time in the past doing similar things with MudOS.

I like the minimalist approach of DGD, ( Matt M. at one point had actually
started ripping a lot of cruft out of MudOS - some interesting alpha's
were released - but sadly that line of development came to an end ). That
being said however, there are a handful of basic routines who's absence
in DGD I find distracting:

localtime()
sprintf()
regex()
ssave_object()    (save object to string)
srestore_object() (restore object from string)

There is a slippery slope to contend with when adding functions to the
driver and I realize that these can be implemented within the lib. There
are examples of sprintf and regex out on the web already and there is
always the ugly kludge of using a combination of save_object and read_file
to implement ssave_object etc. However, to me, these are a class of
routines whose implementation within the driver would make sense.

For instance, localtime is a pretty complex little chunk of code that
could be handled quite succinctly within the driver by wrapping the system
localtime(). Largely the same for regex and sprintf. All the pieces are
already there for string save/restore I believe.

Ok, thats my "what about adding these?" post. At least I didn't dredge
up ANSI colors and outbound networking ;)

-Darren

Darren Henderson                                 dkh-dgd at nighttide.net

                   Help fight junk e-mail, visit http://www.cauce.org/