[DGD] Memory usage in 1.2p2

tavise at nwlink.com tavise at nwlink.com
Thu Mar 13 23:28:24 CET 2003

> [...]
> During normal execution, the only actions that allocate static memory
> are the compilation of an object, and the creation of an editor
> instance.  Note that static memory is freed as well -- 1447.25 Mb
> allocated but 0.20% used.  The problem is that for some reason, free
> static memory is not re-used, but the size of the static memory pool is
> increased, instead.
>
> If you can provide me with a tarfile of all relevant files of your mud,
> together with a way to recreate the bug, I should be able to
> release a patch for it the same day.  Alternatively, you could give me
> temporary access to your site and allow me to study the problem in situ.
>
> [...]

So this aroused my suspicions somewhat, since I was pretty sure I had
caused this somehow.  I am running the driver with the regex package by
Greg Lewis which patches the driver source to provide 3 new kfuns.  It was
written for 1.1 several years ago, but I was hoping it would work with
1.2.  (I originally found this from the DGD FAQ)

I hacked my lib to remove all references to the patched kfuns, and
restarted with clean driver source and re-ran my tests and all was well.
It seems clear this package is doing something Bad[tm] to the driver.  I'm
not quite sure exactly what the interaction is, I can investigate deeper
if anyone needs me to ...

So now I will apologize for wasting peoples' time and bite the bullet and
implement this functionality as a driver extension using the supported
APIs provided by DGD.  The entire purpose is to expose the regular
expression functions the editor used internally by the driver as a set of
kfuns.

Thanks!
-T