[DGD] Skills

Noah Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Mon Mar 17 00:51:10 CET 2003

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
> A side note based on my experience doing such things: Be sure
> you block the user from executing other commands during the
> casting of the spell (such as movement) and from making combat
> attacks, if that is desired.

  This is actually a good reason for storing what's going on as a state
within the player object -- the way Diku derivatives do this is for each
player to have a "stance" such as standing, sitting, etc.  Fighting is yet
another stance, and each command is rated for what stances it can be
performed in.  You can't hop on one foot while sitting, you can't move
while fighting and so on.
  But then you'd still need to get the combat events happening somehow,
and stances don't help with timing.

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!