[DGD] Skills

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Mar 16 02:33:12 CET 2003

"Ben Chambers" <bjchamb at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Say that you had a multipart skill or spell, such as a fireball, wherein =
> upon the first round the caster begins to mumble some magical words, the =
> second round the air in the room heats up, and then on the third round =
> the fireball is actually cast.  What would be the best way of storing =
> the current state of execution  (skill/state of skill) for each user and =
> making sure that each round it steps through to the next phase of each =
> skill?  Callouts?  Some sort of global stack that keeps all the =
> information of what is going on?

It sounds to me as if you are talking about two different things, skills
and combat events generated from those skills.  The skill is a player
attribute, stored in the player.  The combat event could be handled by
the player object, the room the player is in, a global combat object,
or perhaps a local combat object managing the the fight between the
player and his group on one hand, and the monsters on the other.

I would prefer the latter.  But in any case, I think you should look
at this from a combat point of view, rather than a skill point of view.