[DGD] Multithreaded Version

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Mar 19 13:58:25 CET 2003

"Ben Chambers" <bjchamb at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>    In the new version of the kernel, several of the functions that I have
> been looking at have added a tls variable.  I assume this is thread local
> stack and pertains to the multi-threaded version of DGD.  I haven't really
> seen much of an explanation of what this is or how it works and what effects
> it will have on the code that is written.  Since I'm writing my Mudlib from
> scratch I was wondering what effect this will have on the connection objects
> (that is the main place I saw differences) that I need to write.

"TLS" stands for "thread local storage".  Using /kernel/lib/api/tls, you
can keep track of values that will last as long as the current LPC thread,
without having to store them in a central object.  For a more detailed
explanation, check the old list archives at

    ftp://ftp.dworkin.nl/pub/dgd/list-archive/

The first explanation of TLS is in a message dated November 6th, 1999.