[DGD] Multithreaded Version

Joshua P. Dady jpd at indecisive.com
Fri Mar 21 16:41:26 CET 2003

On Thursday, March 20, 2003, at 06:33  PM, Ben Chambers wrote:
> So is TLS a feature of the kernel or a feature of DGD?

TLS is a generic programming concept, implemented in this case in the
kernel mudlib.

> Does it *HAVE* to be implemented as part of the driver object and auto
> object, or can it be safely left out until after the multi-threaded
> version of DGD has been
> released?

You can leave out whatever you like.  Personally, I would recommend
implementing it now and using it where needed for forward compatibility
(which is not to say that I've been doing much of this at Igor).  An
obvious example being the 2.4.5 efun this_player() - there's no
compelling reason for changing a working implementation of
this_player() now, other than that a TLS based implementation would
support parallelism and storing it in an object variable somewhere
would not.

--
Joshua P. Dady