[DGD] Any advice?

Jay Shaffstall jshaffst at netwalk.com
Tue May 20 05:18:18 CEST 2003

>Any advice as to where to start or what will be necessary to create a new
>kernel from scratch?  I was looking at the kernel that comes with DGD, but I
>feel that I would rather gain the experience from writing my own, as well as
>add some additional features and change some design decisions.

I found this to be an excellent way of learning DGD (a process which
continues, unending!).  What worked for me was to start with the kernel
lib's driver and auto object, and cut them down to what I absolutely
needed.  From there, the field is wide open to design your lib in whatever
layers you want.  At a minimum you'll need a connection object to respond
to user connections.

I did spend some time trying to learn DGD without writing any code by
examining the kernel lib.  For me, this didn't work, which is why I took
the approach of writing nearly everything from scratch.  I can highly
recommend the Phantasmal mudlib for some excellent utility classes (string
functions, UNQ encoding/decoding, and a great help system are the features
I used from Phantasmal), as well as the kernel auto object for some great
utility functions.

Jay