[DGD] Any advice?

Ben Chambers bjchamb at bellsouth.net
Tue May 20 04:46:11 CEST 2003

Any advice as to where to start or what will be necessary to create a new
kernel from scratch?  I was looking at the kernel that comes with DGD, but I
feel that I would rather gain the experience from writing my own, as well as
add some additional features and change some design decisions.

For example, instead of the kernel : mud design, I'm planning more of a
telnet kernel : mud kernel : your mud seperation.  This is just part of what
I want to be part of my resulting kernel... does this make sense?  Where
should I start?  Any advice?  If you're wondering what my qualifications are
for creating a telnet server kernel, they aren't many.  I'm good with C++,
really good.  I learn programming languages fast (Java took me a week) and
know LPC rather well.  I am extremely interested in writing a MUD, and I
have the ultimate source of free time: 4 years at college coming up ;)