[DGD] Any advice?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue May 20 13:19:34 CEST 2003

"Kirk Smith" <ksmith at illiji.net> wrote:

> <quote who="Ben Chambers">
> > The one biggest issue that I have with the kernel library is lack of
> documentation.
>
> This is one of my biggest issues with almost everything DGD. Myself and
> another coder I work with have been wrestling with the extension interface for
> weeks to implement what could have been a very easy project. Why? Lack of
> documentation. In fact, this is one of the reasons I have chosen to write my
> own mudlib from the ground up (but even this is not possible without using
> existing code as reference material).

This is a valid complaint.  I do intend to document DGD's LPC fully at
one point (the driver internals have less priority) but keep pushing
that moment forward.  It's not as if I am lacking other DGD things to
work on, of course.

Having said that, some things in DGD are just mind-bogglingly complex.
Take the string parser for instance -- it wasn't created to make
parsing easy, it was created to make parsing really efficient.  The
documentation for it I consider to be of good quality, but nevertheless
making a good parser with it is as hard, or perhaps harder, than doing
so in LPC.

Another example would be atomic functions.  I still wrestle to find a
good way of explaining what they are, which can be understood by
everyone.